ATA Offers New Fiber Optics for Professionals Program
Optical fiber is used by many telecommunications companies to transmit telephone signals, internet communication and cable television signals. It is also used in a multitude of other industries, including medical, defense/government, for data storage, and industrial/commercial. In recent years fiber optic technology has taken on increasing importance in industrial data communications systems as well, and workers in this field are in high demand for their services. For individuals with a technical mind and a precise attention to detail, a career in fiber optics technology may offer a promising career. ATA College now offers a 7-week Fiber Optics for Professionals (FFP) program to train you for success in this growing field!
ATA’s new Fiber Optics for Professionals (FFP) program is available online nationwide. The seven week program includes five weeks of online courses, with curriculum developed on Moodle and experienced live through Microsoft Teams. The FFP program culminates with an intensive one-week session of on-campus hands-on practice, with travel to San Diego County (El Cajon), meals, and temporary lodging included in the course tuition.
The Fiber Optics for Professionals (FFP) program is designed to teach the basics of fiber optics and cabling in order to thoroughly prepare graduates for immediate entry-level employment in the field. Through online and classroom training, and practical hands-on application, students learn cable preparation (patch panel or splice closure), fusion splicing, optical loss, reflection testing, and Optical Time-Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) operations. Students gain specialized training in developing fiber optic networks to various premises, mechanical and fusion splicing, and testing techniques. The FFP program includes the following courses:
- Basic Fiber Optics
- Basic Premises Cabling
- Fiber to the Premises- FTTx
- Advanced Fiber Optics- Splicing
- Advanced Fiber Optics- Testing
ATA College is an approved training provider (School #143) for the Fiber Optics Association (FOA), an international professional fiber optics authority, and the FFP program prepares students to test for five professional certifications. Graduates are prepared for the following Fiber Optics Association (FOA) exams:
- Certified Fiber Optic Technician (CFOT)– primary FOA certification for all fiber optics applications
- Certified Premises Cabling Technician (CPCT)– certification for designers, installers, and operators of premises cabling networks
- Certified Fiber Optics Specialist (CFOS/H)– certification based on the specific applications of Fiber To The Home (FTTH) or optical LANs (OLANs)
- Certified Fiber Optic Specialist (CFOS/S)– certification for technicians splicing primarily outside plant (OSP) fiber optic cable plants for concatenation and termination.
- Certified Fiber Optic Specialist (CFOS/T)– certification for technicians testing fiber optic cable plants and communications systems
With ATA’s Fiber Optics for Professionals (FFP) program you will gain competency in Fiber Optics technology and be prepared to test for five different professional certifications from the Fiber Optics Association (FOA) that will demonstrate to potential employers the depth of your knowledge and commitment to your training. If you are interested in beginning a promising new career in the growing field of Fiber Optics technology, ATA College has the training program for you! ATA offers Fiber Optics Trade Scholarships for qualified individuals, and offers students and alumni a network of career opportunities. ATA’s next start date is August 17th; visit the ATA College website for more information or to get started today!